Thursday, January 21, 2010

When the old is gone, the new comes.

Yes, it's more problems again and again. It's like it never seems to stop. Somehow I find myself in a situation of responsibility (again but this time it has nothing to do with monitor duties). Also I think that this subject is too sensitive so I would not write anything about here (It's the internet!). The other problems that seem to arise (besides the one stated earlier that I don't want to mention) are my internet speed and yeah, my internet speed. I think I can take a meal before this page finishes loading completely. My internet speed is that slow. It's so slow that this 1-year-old (Windows Vista) computer loses out to my mum's 5-year-old (Windows XP) laptop. I'm really dying for a software upgrade to Windows 7.

But for now I think I just need to put up with this excruciatingly slow speed. Oh well.

I just want to share something that happened in mission trip (I forgot which day) debrief last year. We were supposed to do follow-up on the orang aslis' newfound faith (I think). A cell-mate carried a little boy that was around 5 years old in a certain village, who was not wearing anything. Later we distributed clothes to the villagers and they were very happy to receive them. The next day my cell-mate saw that same boy, but this time he was wearing pants. During that night's debrief we were supposed to share what we have learnt so far in this trip. He said, "I have learnt that people change." There is a punchline to that, but there also is a much deeper meaning to it. "People change." Now that's quite interesting. Besides that punchline there may be a couple of reasons why they change, not meaning the clothes and anything but the inner character. Just like how we change our clothes we also have the tendency to change our character (in this context I refer to the character change to be positive unless stated) when the time comes. These many times that our character changes is, for example, new environment, reflection, times of trial, emotional maturity, impacted by people/God, and so on and so forth.

There's this Chinese saying that goes, it's easier to change the mountains and rivers than to change your character (Jiang shan yi gai, ben xing nan yi). I totally disagree with that. Totally. Absolutely. 100%. The time will come where everyone will have a character change, for better or for worse. There may be a time that something in the spiritual realm that touches you heart or impacts you in such a way that you're never going to be the same. I've seen it happening to my friends, I've experienced this situation before, and things are never going to be the same again in my life. I really hope that God can impact all of your lives, my friends, impact you so hard that you'll never be the same again.

When the old is gone, the new comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment